The Mad Scientist's Lab

I'm a virologist working hard to prevent the spread of HIV through research and education. Please visit the AVERT prevention site linked below and feel free to ask any questions here.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Future of Science - for me and other women

Well the wedding is only 10 days away. In thinking about my future with Weasel I have also been thinking alot about my future in terms of career and family. I found this very interesting article in the NY Times about women in science. Sorry you might need to register to read the article or use Bug me not. Barbara/Ben has a truely unique take on the situation. His commentary in the journal Nature is articulate and well founded. Since most of you would not be able to access the online article I did not link it here, but if you are interested I could provide you with a PDF via email.

So I still have a lot to figure out about where I want to go in science. But I encourage you all to examine your views and actions. Have you ever even unintentionally made a sterotype or discouraged your daughter, sister, mother from something just because she was female?

7 Comments:

At 7/23/2006 7:19 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I've always wanted my 14 year old daughter to be a doctor (er, not projecting my missed opportunity on her or anything). But I have:

1. Nagged her to groom herself better because all the other girls are well groomed and she'll never get a boyfriend if she's smelly & ratty. And I know she wants a boyfriend.

2. Encouraged her to get married someday because she doesn't want to end up a crazy cat lady.

3. Encouraged her to have kids because I'd like a grandchild someday. Also, I think having kids is not to be missed in life.

4. Warned her that:

a. Single motherhood bites for everybody. I know because I had a divorced working mom. She was exhausted all the time. Plus she was limited to 9 to 5 work because she had 2 young kids and day care was expensive.

b. If both she and her husband want demanding careers (long hours, frequent travel) at least one of them will have to cut back on work for the kids. Two big-career couples may look cool but their kids suffer more than they realize.

Is this sexist? I sure hope not. I just think that kids require a lot of parental devotion.

 
At 7/23/2006 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

scat/sfo...
my older sister is married and still well on the way to being a crazy cat lady, so you can never tell...

 
At 7/24/2006 2:48 PM, Blogger Mad Scientist said...

Scat- not sexist/chauvanistic unless you wouldn't hold a son to the same standards. Why should the woman always be the one to sacrafice a career? Men should dress well and groom themselves also.

I remember many times growing up and even still as an adult that my father would not allow me to take part in a certain event because I was female. Examples: Could not go to the local amusement park alone (I was 17 and worked there everyday during the summer, but on a day off I could not go alone to ride the rides!)
Could not go on overnight fishing trips because I would not be able to pee over the side of the boat!
There were many other times in life when my dad flat out said to my sister and I: " If you were boys I would let you"

Dad never discouraged me from going into science, but if I even mention the idea of going to Africa to work on AIDS he freaks out. I do not think he would be as against this if I were male.

I am sure I am guilty of sterotyping gender roles as well. I was just trying to make everyone a little more aware of it.

I'll post some pictures of the puffy dress after the wedding. Take care everyone!

 
At 7/25/2006 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mad, I sure hope I'm not discouraging Meg (or Ryan) in any ways - and I'd like the readers to know how much you've supported Meg in science-related endeavors, such as alerting me to Sally Ride's gig at UC Irvine (alas, Meg was too young to attend!) and coming to her class to help her (and possibly inspire the other girls in her class) present "Science With Megan".

Just how were you planning to address the issue of urination while on a small boat?

Very best on the wedding, we love you -

Jamester

 
At 7/25/2006 11:35 AM, Blogger Leetie said...

Never. And I've never been discriminated against in my science career. I really feel that I've had alot of opportunity, and have gotten much farther up the old career ladder than I even wanted. In fact, when I go back to work in a year or two, I'm not gunning for a "career." I just want a job. Careers take too much of your life away.

My friend Denise is a crazy cat lady and totally embraces that fact. ;)

Best wishes to you and Mike!

 
At 7/25/2006 12:10 PM, Blogger Mad Scientist said...

Jamester - Jump in the water pee jump back in the boat. or swim to land and squat. I love the water and the whole peeing over the side of the boat never stopped me.

I too am a crazy cat lady about to inherit a weasel and a dog!!!! Wish me luck everyone. Check back here for wedding pictures in a few days/week.

 
At 7/27/2006 9:48 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Probably nobody will read this at this late date but I honestly believe that there's something deep in our brains that makes us extra protective of female offspring. I mean, one male can keep a tribe populated but more females are needed because pregnancy & nursing take time, not to mention the reality of maternal mortality.

And I'm an old-school feminist!

Oh, no offense about the cat lady thing. I love cats. I would have a couple of them if my family weren't so dang allergic.

Oh, yeah, I do have the same standards for my son. He's still pre-pubescent and has some pretty serious emotional issues but I hope he's stable enough as an adult to have a family.

And I do very much encourage him to be a good family man. The world needs them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home