The Mad Scientist's Lab

I'm a virologist working hard to prevent the spread of HIV through research and education. Please visit the AVERT prevention site linked below and feel free to ask any questions here.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

response to intelligent design vs evolution

Thanks for all the comments guys and gals. It is a tough topic. Bis says it is a political debate and in a lot of ways that is true, but as a scientist I see it entering into the science world everyday. And as a teacher I have to figure out what the line is. Sure I usually talk about evolution on a molecular level, but it all trickles out to something bigger.

When students come up to me and have true enthusiasm and awe at the workings of a cell I want to say to them - yeah it is too amazing to not be the work of a higher being. But of course I don't because that would be crossing the line.

In graduate school I had a prof who was teaching about cloning in mice. This involves creating a mouse embryo in a petri dish. The prof refered to this as immaculate conception and then proceeded to tell the class that Mary represented the only immaculate conception in humans. Does that then follow that Jesus was the only case of cloning in Humans? I'm not sure if the prof was stating her views or making a political joke.

I do agree that parents should teach children to think for themselves and to not put their faith in science.

Thanks again for all of your responses

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home