The Mad Scientist's Lab

I'm a virologist working hard to prevent the spread of HIV through research and education. Please visit the AVERT prevention site linked below and feel free to ask any questions here.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A Lie Group

American Institute of Mathematics/Peter McMullen

This is a 2 demensional image of an 8 demensional object of a 248 demensional symmetries. Math and physics blows my mind. I'll stick to microbes

this image come from 70 hours of supercomputing effort to define a Lie group called E8. Lie groups are mathmatical series that define all of the operations that can be performed on a object without changing it.

3 Comments:

At 3/20/2007 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it kinda looks like a microbe... a multidimensional one.

(don't know much about Lie groups, sorry)-insomniac

 
At 3/21/2007 4:08 PM, Blogger Mad Scientist said...

Insomniac- I pulled that image and information from the science magazine article. I had never heard of Lie groups before. Math still blows my mind. I have a hard enough time dealing with 3 demensions. How do they calculate things in 8 let alone 200!

 
At 3/21/2007 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

calculation is easy... instead of 2 or 3 coordinates there are 8 or 200 or whatever...

visualization is hard!-insomniac

 

Post a Comment

<< Home