The Mad Scientist's Lab

I'm a virologist working hard to prevent the spread of HIV through research and education. Please visit the AVERT prevention site linked below and feel free to ask any questions here.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Weasel asked what is protease?

In science there is actually some method to the madness. Generally the suffix -ase means to cleave or cut
so protease is an enzyme that cleaves (cuts) proteins (usually they are highly specific). DNAses cleave DNA, phospases cleave off phosphates etc. The body (and viruses and bacteria) often have several forms of a protein some active and some not. This is a way of regulating body processes. Think of it like you have to cut open a bag of frozen peas before you can cook them. The peas in the freezer are the same as the peas in the saucepan, but you have to somehow gain access to the peas. You do this by cutting open the bag. In the simplest terms, proteases cut away parts of proteins that protect the active site of the protein.

In the case of HIV in order for the virus that buds out of a cell to be infectious certain proteins must be cleaved to make the active form. The protease does this. If you treat a patient with protease inhibitors this prevents the viral protein from entering the active form and thus the newly formed virus is no longer infectious. The protease inhibitors used are specific for the HIV proteases and don't effect other proteases on the body, but like all other AIDS drugs the virus can mutate and become resistant to protease inhibitors.

6 Comments:

At 8/31/2005 11:33 AM, Blogger Mike Weasel said...

Wow, thanks! Now we need to make a song that rhymes "protease" with "froze peas."

 
At 8/31/2005 4:01 PM, Blogger Higgy said...

Sung to the tune of "Happy Birthday"

Mad cooks up protease,
Her example was peas,
Weasel still doesn't get it,
And the bloglits do tease.

Ok, I got nuthin...

 
At 8/31/2005 9:28 PM, Blogger MrFisher said...

When I want a Pro tease I just go down to the local stip joint.

Thankfully my inhibitors prevent me from getting any viral wafting infection from a grinding sweaty crotch on my peas. Course, either way, it still cost me twenty bucks.

[hic]

[[BURP]]

whooops, Oh, Hey, what happens if I touch this beaker here MAD?

*touches it anyway, before Mad answers because I have been drinking too much*

 
At 8/31/2005 10:09 PM, Blogger Mad Scientist said...

I tried to post this earlier but it didn't work.

Higgy I think your song is great and I will never look at frozen peas the same way again.

Fisher welcome and feel free to touch all the beakers you want. ;-)

 
At 9/01/2005 9:29 AM, Blogger Higgy said...

Mad - I was going to get a line in there about "Mad's on her knees" but there was no good non-X-rated way to end the song!!!

 
At 9/01/2005 9:52 AM, Blogger Mad Scientist said...

*snork* Higgy ! I'm still not sure why that stopped you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home